To Get Lost & found again

In 1998 when I just got in 6th grade and my sister in 11th grade (at 15 she skipped 1 class because she was awesome), our father thought to get us enrolled in a new and better school. 
Leaving behind all my favorite teachers and single good friend was not only painful journey but a cry of a child who never wanted to detach from his/her safe harbor. 

The formalities to get admission in a new school were not such a headache then and my parents always thought that it was as easy as 1-2-3 to make new friends and become a teacher's pet if you are good in their eyes. Since my sister gave them the impression of being confident, capable, responsible and intelligent and I was just 10% of the whole matter I knew I will do just average.

My first day in that enormous new school happened to be a week before the beginning of 2 long months (May and June) summer vacation. The 4 days passed equally okay nevertheless, monotonous. However, P.E. was the best. 
The 5th Day being a Friday was easy as a pie because all the teacher's were in good mood and nobody wanted to spoil the spirit of the vacations. To add to the frolic, our headmistress announced that the school is about to be closed at 11:30 am after the fifth period. 

Since I didn't know whether my sister knows (we used to walk together to home)  that our class was off at 11:30am and I will have to wait for her somewhere outside the school she can tell, so when she was off, we could walk together to home.
My intelligence made me rush to my sister's section on an altogether senior's floor and I had no idea that there were 6 sections of each grade and I forgot/got confused in which section my own sister studied?

I did not know it was off for every class while students gathered in hordes wished to reach the exits first, shoving away lots of little people like me. 

After rushing here and there berserk I lost the way to my own classroom where I had left my school bag and I was so anxious and nervous I forgot my own section!I didn't know which way was my class room and no body was helping me, I did not remember any face from my 4 day old class mates whom I never bothered to talk to. 

I figured out how the school appeared to my mind, I think It was made in the shape of letter or  H as there were crossing/intersection and there were four exits on each end point of the building. But on which end was I standing I just could not figure it out! 


I couldn't find the staff room and I was panicky. The whole school got emptied in minutes and there I was rushing corridor to corridor, holding back my tears, appearing brave, and running back and forth to find my sister maybe or my class room which ever was first!

No sign of any teacher or staff room could be seen, no student was hearing to me, everyone was cheering and calling out "Happy Holidays!" to each other, some said to me as well and ran off. How could I run out of school or say happy holidays when I am not happy specially when I did not know where the junior's exit was, I was not even near to my corridor or water cooler. Was I thirsty suddenly? Have I been crying? I was sweaty maybe!

I looked at my wrist watch it was 12:30 noon in a blink and I was still standing. But why? I think I was hearing a voice coming closer to me and was echoing. Some one was calling my name? Or maybe I didn't know until after an hour I could see my sister rushing to me and saying that all this time she was waiting for me in front of junior's exit and why wasn't I there? She asked repeatedly where did I go? Was I stuck in the children's toilet? Did some body lock me or tricked me? I was crying all through this time. I just could not utter a single word except that I was sweaty and crying and happy that my sister found me!  

I could not say anything but she kept asking me what happened and where was my school bag and I just said it's in the class. She asked me about the section as my name starts with a G so maybe I was about to be shifted in another section than the one I was admitted in, and that I didn't remember. We went to the part where the junior's area was from the high school part. I didn't get that how I ended up in high school part of the building when I was on the senior level?

We went to 6A then to 6B and then to 6C and there was my blue school bag waiting to be picked by me. My sister collected my stuff and shoved them into the bag and we moved out as the school appeared creepy to us. 

As soon as we got home, I made a promise that I won't say anything upsetting about getting lost in the school and that my sister was very fond of the new school but I can tell that I got lost today. But, as my father turned up in the evening from work and mother started to tell my day at school I cried as if I was abducted my creeps and ghosts.

I just cried and cried saying that I won't go to that school ever again and so my father promised me that at every cost he will move me back to my old school where I felt safe and happy.

This is what I felt when I got lost and found again. Has anybody been lost and found in an unlikely manner?
 Ciao~


Comments

  1. This is a good common sense blog. I am very glad to read this.
    Herbal Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an emotional post and one I can related with on a different level. We moved our three children from a small, sleepy town to a suburb of Boston due to a job change. All three of my kids adjusted (albeit in a different way than I thought they would) and I don't think they had a terrifying experience like yours. However, as a grown 40 year old woman, it was VERY hard for me to adjust. And three years later it still is and we are moving back. Luckily, telecommuting is an option and only two of the three of my kids will have to adjust to a school...the same one they left. We tried for three years and for three years I yearned for my hometown. Sometimes, those experiences do make you stronger, even if they are so very hard to get through at the time. I do have a few new friends and learned some new 'ways' of New Englanders so I am glad I did it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, moving to a new school is so horrible. The only reason I did well moving in 6th grade was because it was back to my old school (after three years) and I knew everyone.

    Naqvee, I just clicked over to see your paintings and I nearly cried. They totally speak to my heart. LOVE them. Some more than others. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hard to move to a new school, especially so close to the summer break! Everyone is in a "let's get out of school" thinking and you are trying to adjust to the new schedule, new surroundings, etc. I am glad you were finally reunited with your sister! I bet you were so glad to see her!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an experience! How awesome that your family supported you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine trying to start at a new school in the weeks just before summer vacation! That must have been soooo scary.

    I actually did have a very similar experience when I was a teenager.

    When I was 18 I spent a year as an exchange student in Norway. The first week I was there, some of the neighborhood kids took me out for a "night on the town." I didn't have much experience with alcohol at the time, and the beer there was MUCH stronger than what I was used to at home, so before I knew it I was completely smashed. Anyhow, we were standing in line at a club, and there was a lot of pushing and shoving, and somehow I got separated from my friends. I got back in line expecting to find them once I got inside, but unbeknownst to me, there were 2 clubs in the same building, and I somehow managed to get in the wrong line and ended up in the 21 and over club.

    I was already drunk, but then people kept buying me more drinks... anyhow before I knew it, it was 2am, and the club was closing. So I found myself out on the street, so drunk I could barely stand, in a foreign country where I didn't speak the language, and I didn't even know the address or phone number of my host family. Fortunately, at that moment the kids I had arrived with came running around the corner - they had apparently spent the entire night scouring the city looking for me!

    What a way to start off my year abroad! After that, I decided it would be best if I didn't drink... and I didn't have another sip of alcohol for several years! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was one terrifying night, wasn't it?

      Delete
  7. How supportive your parents were. And a scary experience…
    Thanks for visiting me a while back.
    Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that must be tough and scary Naqvee, I felt so lost once when I lost track of my trail and I lost my hubby and cousin because I wandered a little bit, I was crying and all, and praying hard for God to lead me the way when I got throbbing migraine when I started to panic, thankfully, after prayers, I calmed down and started my walk, and saw sign of other people, and later saw my cousin and hubby, after that experience, I told myself I will never go off trail again

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking out that extra time and commenting on my views. You are free to comment, compliment, suggest and share anything you want to share with me. Enjoy !

Popular posts from this blog

Crossed fingers

Fake vanity

How I spent my 100 bucks